Canada is an incredible country, with a diverse landscape that attracts tourists from around the world. The people are friendly and welcoming, but did you know Canada has some pretty strange customs? Here are 5 facts about this great nation.
1) Canadian citizens have to take their shoes off if they come inside someone’s house or apartment. Why? Apparently, it’s because of all the dirt outside! Maybe we should try taking our shoes off when we walk on the carpet too…
2) Canadians like to eat at restaurants called “diners” which serve breakfast all day long and usually include pancakes as one of their main courses. Sounds delicious!
3) It’s illegal for anyone over 18 years old in Canada to purchase cigarettes without showing an ID.
4) The first ever NHL game was played in Montreal, Quebec on January 3rd, 1917 with the Montreal Canadians defeating their opponents from Ottawa 10-9. There were 6 players on each side and 4 referees.
5) Canada has over 2 million lakes making it the country with most lakes in the world by far! This number even beats Russia which has just over 1 million lakes.